My fundamental objective for FD this 12 months was to make charts.
I hoped to make one chart per week, together with the publication and tutorials, which might power me to focus and spend much less time dwelling on a dataset. I didn’t fairly get to 1 per week, however I made about twice as many graphics as I did final 12 months. I’ll take it.
As a substitute of long-ish, in-depth analyses, I normally checked out one dataset from numerous angles, making one or two graphics per angle. Mainly, as an alternative of essays, I opted for small collections of brief tales.
So, listed here are the preferred subjects/datasets and their accompanying charts.
1. Paths to Marriage
The How Couples Meet and Keep Collectively dataset was enjoyable to have a look at, as a result of it supplied particulars for particular person relationships and was a peek into the “So how’d you two meet?” query for a whole lot of relationships.
- I began with how folks meet today.
- Then I puzzled about the way it has modified.
- What occurs after assembly? Right here’s how the wedding timeline modified.
- Lastly, an animated bubbly have a look at the timeline.
2. How Sleep Patterns Change with Age
The American Time Use Survey is the dataset that retains on giving.
- I get up virtually each evening now. Is it going to worsen? Sure. The animated chart was one the most disliked charts I ever made. Fairly superior.
- I adopted up with a wider view of sleep schedules.
three. How A lot Cash Folks Make
Is your wage excessive sufficient? What do different folks make? The American Group Survey supplied an in depth view.
- With a definition of “middle-income” in hand, I puzzled what proportion of individuals really fall into the definition.
- I additionally checked out it by family measurement and state.
- Then there was wage by occupation.
four. Saving for Retirement
There was an article going round quoting some age when folks attain $100okay in financial savings. I used to be curious in regards to the particulars, as a result of I’m getting outdated. The Survey of Client Funds supplied a peek.
- I began by age and the $100okay threshold for retirement financial savings.
- Then I appeared on the vast variation of how a lot folks save over time.
- Lastly, financial savings suggestions.
5. In search of Work-Life Stability (with Children)
As somebody who’s self-employed and works from residence, I’m continually in the hunt for the proper steadiness as a result of work and residential are so tightly-knit for me. And children change every little thing. I additionally typically marvel about others’ day-to-day. I got here again to the American Time Use Survey and the American Group Survey.
- Having checked out a day within the lifetime of People earlier than, I in contrast a day within the life for women and men.
- The ATUS has been round since 2003, which allowed a distinction of time use now towards 15 years in the past.
- Generally I fantasize about a profession shift.
- I don’t envy lengthy commutes although. How a lot is an excessive amount of commute? I additionally mapped when folks begin their commutes within the morning.
- I puzzled how life modifications when you may have youngsters.
- Lastly, I in contrast the jarring time shift between mothers and dads.
For me, this 12 months was about staying extra targeted and being productive. I’ll attempt to preserve the identical focus subsequent 12 months, however I’ll attempt to take extra aspect routes in hopes of discovering new toys to play with.
A 12 months of Members-Solely
I’ve had memberships on FD for nearly eight years now, however this was the primary full 12 months the location was fully member-supported. It appears to be working. Thanks to everybody who continues to assist this little website of mine.
Subsequent 12 months goes to be larger and higher.
On the finish of this 12 months, I launched a pattern of what’s to come back. For a very long time, it’s simply been me round right here, however you’ll see new factors of view and new visualization instruments. I even have new tasks for members within the queue. It needs to be enjoyable.
Thanks for studying. Thanks for supporting.
Trying to Visualization in 2020
I believe we are able to all agree that visualization is a bonafide factor now. Large corporations are spending many on shopping for visualization corporations. There are books aplenty. There are instruments aplenty.
Ten years in the past, I used to be sitting in a database class and we had been making introductions. I stated I used to be in statistics with a concentrate on knowledge visualization. The man subsequent to me taking notes on his laptop computer typed, “Information visualization????” as a reminder to look it up in a while.
Nowadays, I inform non-data folks what I do, and a few are already acquainted with the sector. What progress.
So we’re in an excellent place.
That stated, whereas I’m glad visualization is taken critically now, I hope that we nonetheless depart room for enjoyable and novelty subsequent 12 months. That’s all I would like. The remainder will handle itself.
See you all subsequent 12 months. Let’s make it an excellent one.