In 2018, @matt posted 9 tasks for Core to give attention to in 2019. This roadmap was up to date for 2020. Plugins and Themes computerized updates is a kind of 9 tasks. WordPress contributors did loads of work on the 2 associated tickets throughout WP 5.four improvement cycle, however determined to present it extra time for testing because it’s an vital characteristic. This undertaking is now deliberate for WordPress 5.5 and the characteristic goes to be examined in a Characteristic Plugin.
For reference, see the 2 associated Trac tickets:
Lots of fascinating factors had been mentioned within the tickets above, together with the scope of the characteristic and the consumer interface/design. Many because of everybody who already contributed to this thrilling new characteristic ♥️
Now, the event that occurred within the associated tickets are moved into WP-Auto-updates Characteristic Plugin which is obtainable for testing and suggestions. Contributions from the WordPress neighborhood are welcome on the plugin’s GitHub repository.
As a fast reminder of what this undertaking is making an attempt to attain, listed here are the principle options which can be being labored on:
- Capability for web site directors to opt-in to computerized updates for plugins and themes within the associated WP-Admin screens.
- Capability to allow/disable auto-updates on a plugin-by-plugin and theme-by-theme foundation.
- E mail notifications to ship common auto-update summaries to web site directors.
- Hooks and constants to assist builders disable or programmatically outline auto-update settings.
The present design of the characteristic plugin displays the final concepts that had been mentioned in #48850. That is nonetheless a piece in progress and the implementation will in all probability evolve, as WordPress contributors talk about the characteristic on GitHub.
Right here is the proposed roadmap:
- ✅ Create characteristic plugin
- ✅ Submit characteristic plugin to WordPress.org repository
- ✅ Get the plugin featured as beta plugin on WordPress.org
- 🔲 Transfer the repository to WordPress.org GitHub account
- ✅ Publish the characteristic plugin proposal
- 🔲 Open a devoted Slack channel on Make WordPress (if wanted)
- ✅ Deal with plugins auto-updates
- 🔲 Deal with themes auto-updates
- ✅ Deal with plugins auto-updates in a multisite context
- 🔲 Deal with themes auto-updates in a multisite context
- ✅ Add hooks and constants for plugins
- 🔲 Add hooks and constants for themes
- 🔲 Add electronic mail notifications for plugins
- 🔲 Add electronic mail notifications for themes
- ✅ Add auto-updates data in update-core display screen
- 🔲 Validate design for plugins display screen
- 🔲 Validate design for themes display screen
- 🔲 Validate design for update-core display screen
- 🔲 Full documentation for brand spanking new capabilities, hooks and constants
- 🔲 Copy evaluation
- 🔲 Accessibility evaluation
- 🔲 Safety evaluation
- 🔲 Coding requirements evaluation
- 🔲 Inline Docs evaluation
The discharge of the WP-Auto-updates characteristic plugin is an early step within the course of of getting this performance included in WordPress Core. Now, your assist is required to check, validate, and enhance the present characteristic to make sure that it meets the wants of the WordPress neighborhood. Plugin and theme authors, internet hosting corporations, WordPress builders and customers are welcome to share their ideas about this characteristic.