Freelance writing could be a profitable profession, however so as to get began as a contract author you will want a portfolio that showcases your work. There are many web sites specializing in offering a portfolio platform for freelance writers, however the truth stays that nothing beats a self-hosted web site.
Whenever you select one of many hosted options, you’re placing your content material into the palms of another person. And in the event that they determine to close down their platform, you can lose entry to all of your content material.
With a self-hosted web site, you’re in full management. You personal your website and every part on it, together with the area title. You may select how your web site seems, the place it’s hosted, and should you determine you aren’t happy along with your host, you possibly can actually take your web site and transfer it to a distinct internet hosting supplier.
Creating your personal portfolio could seem intimidating, particularly should you’re not tech-savvy. And if that’s what’s stopping you from lastly taking the plunge, you’re in luck. In at the moment’s article, we’ll present you ways to create an awesome portfolio web site with WordPress, offer you tips on what your web site ought to embody and how one can successfully market it so you possibly can land extra freelance writing gigs!
What Ought to Your Portfolio Web site Embody?
Earlier than really organising your author portfolio, it’s time to do some planning and determine on the construction of your web site. You also needs to think about what you wish to accomplish along with your portfolio.
What Is The Objective Of Your Portfolio?
Making a portfolio ought to serve the objective of getting you extra purchasers, however it may additionally aid you set up a model for your self, in addition to aid you get a job. The necessary factor to recollect is that your portfolio can efficiently mix all of those objectives however you must give attention to one because the main objective.
Easy methods to Select Your Portfolio Items
A standard mistake many freelance writers make is that they assume their portfolio ought to embody each article they’ve ever written. In actuality, your portfolio must precisely symbolize your model and your strongest ability set.
In essence, this implies you must solely spotlight your most up-to-date work and solely your finest work. When you have a specific area of interest you’re enthusiastic about and completely love writing about it, then your portfolio ought to largely embody samples that replicate that area of interest.
Every time attainable, embody hyperlinks to articles which were printed on-line as an alternative of linking or importing a Phrase/Google Doc or a PDF. The variety of samples varies from one author to a different however a very good wholesome stability could be to incorporate between 5 and ten items.
Important Data to Embody On Your Web site
Apart out of your writing samples, your web site ought to embody details about you. The aim of your web site is to promote your self and your companies by telling individuals why they need to rent you. Listed below are 5 necessities to incorporate in your web site:
- Your Identify or Your Model Identify: It nearly goes with out saying that your title needs to be clearly seen in your web site. You can even embody your specialty as your tagline so it’s instantly clear what you do.
About Web page: Your “about” web page ought to embody an expert bio and your headshot however you also needs to think about together with how one can assist potential purchasers reasonably than making the web page all about you.
A Contact Web page: Your portfolio completely wants your contact data. Embody your e-mail, in addition to your social media hyperlinks or you possibly can embody a contact kind should you’d reasonably not give out your e-mail handle. Whichever your selection, be certain it’s straightforward for potential purchasers to get in contact with you.
Social Proof: Testimonials and critiques can go a great distance in the direction of convincing potential purchasers you’re price their time and funding. Don’t be afraid to incorporate testimonials from previous purchasers, critiques, any attainable media protection or anything that showcases your experience.
- Easy Menu or Navigation: Don’t make potential purchasers work greater than vital to search out the data they wish to see. Use customary navigation menus and clearly label every web page for what it’s.
Easy methods to Create Your Portfolio Web site
Now that you realize what your portfolio ought to embody, it’s time to really begin creating your web site! One of many easiest methods to construct a web site is to decide on WordPress.
It began life as a easy running a blog platform, however WordPress now powers over 33% of all web sites on the Web and companies all the world over favor make it their CMS of selection. There are just a few good the explanation why you must select WordPress:
- Ease of Use: It’s utilized by tens of millions of individuals and nearly each day new individuals are creating their first WordPress powered web sites. The backend is user-friendly and creating new posts and pages occurs in an interface that’s much like any phrase processing software program.
Free and Open Supply: WordPress is totally free which implies you might be free to obtain, set up, use, and modify it. You should use it to create any type of web site and it’s open supply which implies anybody can contribute to it. Due to that it’s additionally commonly up to date and developed.
- Excessive High quality Code: WordPress makes use of top quality code and its default themes use semantic markup which makes your website straightforward to index in serps and will increase your visibility.
Study extra about how WordPress stacks up towards the opposite high free CMS’s:
With that out of the way in which, let’s get all the way down to how one can set up your author portfolio web site with WordPress. We’ll stroll via the primary steps to take, so you may get began shortly.
1. Purchase Your Area Identify
The very first thing you will want is your very personal area title. When you have a registered enterprise, the apparent selection could be to register a site title that corresponds to your enterprise title. Nevertheless, you may also go together with your personal title. Whether or not you go together with your personal title or your enterprise title listed below are just a few ideas to remember:
- Attempt to maintain it quick and use phrases which can be straightforward to spell to make sure potential purchasers have a simple time of attending to your web site.
- If in any respect attainable, register a .com area since most individuals mechanically kind in a site title that ends with a .com. By doing so, you’ll get rid of the possibilities of somebody touchdown on the mistaken web site simply because the title you wished was solely accessible as a .internet or a .co. Saying that, there are a lot of artistic “top-level domains” (TLDs) as of late, equivalent to .administration, .on-line, even .e-book which you would possibly discover to be good in your wants.
2. Select Your Internet hosting Supplier
Additionally, you will must buy internet hosting in your web site. That is the place all of your web site recordsdata will “reside”. There are numerous devoted WordPress internet hosting suppliers on the market and internet hosting itself can vary from simply a few to a whole bunch of a month relying on the extent of service you need.
Usually, it is possible for you to to purchase your area title similtaneously you buy internet hosting which ought to make your course of rather a lot simpler. When selecting a internet hosting supplier you must search for a bunch that gives one-click set up of WordPress in addition to buyer assist that may aid you—do you have to need assistance alongside the way in which.
Ensure you possibly can add an SSL certificates to your internet hosting too; this further degree of safety is important these days.
three. Putting in WordPress
WordPress is legendary for its five-minute set up course of which entails a little bit of guide work. Nevertheless, should you adopted my recommendation above, you’ve chosen a bunch that provides one-click WordPress set up. The guide course of is comparatively comparable:
- Login to your cPanel. When you join internet hosting, the internet hosting firm will ship you an e-mail hyperlink with the hyperlink to entry your cPanel alongside along with your username and password.
- Search for a web site installer, like Fantastico Installer or Softaculous Installer, click on on WordPress, after which click on on the Set up button. You may be requested to offer a username and password and choose the area the place to put in WordPress.
- Click on on the Set up button as soon as extra to complete the set up course of.
As soon as the set up course of is full, you’ll be given the hyperlink to your WordPress dashboard. It is going to look one thing like this:
Go forward and navigate to it, then enter the username and password you chose to log into your model new WordPress web site.
Selecting Your WordPress Theme
Now that you simply’ve put in WordPress, your first step is to decide on a theme in your author’s portfolio web site. There are numerous themes accessible for WordPress, each free and premium.
You could be tempted to decide on a free theme however if you wish to stand out from the competitors and current your self as an expert, your finest wager is to decide on a premium WordPress theme geared particularly for writers:
WordPress themes for writers could have all of the options essential to create your author’s portfolio. A few of these options embody:
- Responsive Design: Responsive design is a necessity in at the moment’s age the place an increasing number of individuals are shopping content material from their telephones and tablets.
Portfolio Help: For the reason that complete level of your author web site is to draw new purchasers, a portfolio to current your samples is a should.
Clear Typography: Your written samples should be legible regardless of which machine or browser your guests are utilizing. An internet site with a robust give attention to typography will deliver out your content material and guarantee everybody can learn it with none points.
- Customization Choices: You also needs to search for a theme that permits you to tweak the colour scheme and at the very least add your personal emblem so you can begin to determine a model for your self.
Probably the greatest locations to purchase a premium theme is ThemeForest which has a big number of WordPress author themes. On high of that, all themes embody six-months of assist from theme authors in addition to in depth documentation and high quality management from Envato Market authors.
Discover extra nice WordPress author themes to make your portfolio web site with:
Easy methods to Set Up Your Portfolio in WordPress
Portfolio setup is comparatively straightforward as soon as WordPress is put in.
1. Set up the Theme
After you have chosen and bought the theme, log in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to Look > Themes. Click on on Add New > Add theme.
2. Add the Zip File to Your Web site
Click on on Select File and add the zip file of the bought theme, then click on on Set up theme.
three. Activate the Theme
As soon as your theme is uploaded, click on on Activate to make the theme reside in your web site.
four. Create Your Portfolio Class
As soon as the theme is energetic, it’s time to create the portfolio. Since I’ve chosen the WP Weblog for Writers and Journalists theme, the subsequent step is to create the portfolio class which can maintain all my writing samples. Right here’s how one can do it with this theme:
- Navigate to Posts > Classes > Add New, title the class and add an outline.
- Go to the underside of the web page and click on on the Weblog & Single tab.
- Undergo the Unlock Weblog fashion choices.
- Choose a format that fits your wants. I’ve chosen the Portfolio 2 Columns format.
four. Add Portfolio Samples
Now let’s add some samples to our portfolio:
- Go to Posts > Add New, title the put up accordingly and enter the contents of the put up.
- In the suitable column, discover the Classes widget and choose the Portfolio class.
- Set the featured picture and save the put up.
- Repeat the method for all of the samples you wish to embody.
5. Add Portfolio Navigation
The ultimate step is so as to add our portfolio to our navigation menu. To do that, navigate to Look > Menus, choose the newly created class and add it to the primary menu, save the menu, and you might be executed!
After organising your portfolio, add your About and Contact web page by going to Pages > Add New and coming into the suitable content material.
Easy methods to Promote Your Author’s Web site
Now that the majority of your web site is completed, you’ll have to do some work and promote your author portfolio web site. A great place to start out is to incorporate the hyperlink to your web site on all of your social media profiles. You can even use it as part of your signature in each e-mail you ship. Don’t overlook to apply it to your enterprise playing cards as effectively and learn this put up for much more concepts on selling your author’s web site.
Creating an internet portfolio is critical if you wish to set up a profitable writing profession and appeal to new purchasers. Fortunately, a high-quality WordPress theme makes the job rather a lot simpler. Armed with the short ideas on this article, now it’s time to construct your personal author’s portfolio, so you possibly can promote your creator profile, and begin touchdown extra paid writing gigs quick.