- The brand new Shane Dawson docuseries about his make-up collaboration with Jeffree Star touched on a YouTube controversy involving Nikkie Tutorials and the model Too Confronted, together with new particulars a few contentious contract.
- Again in 2016, one of the crucial fashionable magnificence YouTubers, Nikkie de Jager (higher often called Nikkie Tutorials), introduced she can be debuting an eyeshadow and face powder palette with the model Too Confronted, together with a bundle of different merchandise.
- The collaboration was known as “The Too Confronted Energy of Make-up by Nikkie Tutorials Collaboration,” and hinged on de Jager’s wildly fashionable sequence of makeovers that present, aptly, the facility of make-up.
- In 2017, Star accused Too Confronted CEO Jeremy Johnson of underpaying de Jager, after the 2 make-up moguls and model rivals began feuding publicly about who originated which make-up ideas.
- In Dawson’s newest video, Star once more dredged up the accusation, confirming earlier hypothesis that de Jager recieved a flat charge of $50,000 for the palette, which Star mentioned remodeled $10 million.
- On Twitter, de Jager then responded with a short clarification of why she signed the low-balling contract, calling herself “naive” on the time, and mentioned the most important loss by way of the product was not the cash, however her repute, given the standard of the product.
- Go to Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
Jeffree Star has revived an extinct magnificence drama about Nikkie Tutorials’ collaboration with the model Too Confronted, revealing new particulars and prompting a response from the YouTuber herself within the course of.
Nikkie de Jager, higher often called her channel identify Nikkie Tutorials, was one of many first magnificence YouTubers to cross over into collaborative advertising and product creation with Estée Lauder’s Too Confronted model in 2016, when she introduced her wildly fashionable “Energy of Make-up” YouTube sequence would change into a palette and product bundle.
The palette included eyeshadow shades, two blush colours, a bronzer, and a highlighter, and it offered for $56. Drama first cropped up when followers who bought the palette claimed it was poorer high quality than what de Jager’s personal swatches and reveal instructed.
Then, in 2017, as Star launched into a public feud with Too Confronted CEO Jeremy Johnson. Johnson instructed that different manufacturers have been ripping off a “unicorn make-up” pattern he began, and Star responded to say that the “unicorn” pattern began earlier than Too Confronted capitalized on it. Star additionally revealed that Johnson had underpaid de Jager.
On the time, hypothesis ran wild from nameless sources that mentioned de Jager solely made between $40,000 and $60,000 on the product, which had offered a minimum of 150,000 items – netting over $eight million.
Star revived the previous drama in his newest video with Shane Dawson, inflicting de Jager to reply once more to his accusations on Twitter
In “The Secrets and techniques of the Magnificence World,” Star tells Dawson that a truthful cut up of earnings from their make-up collaboration can be giving Dawson 30 p.c, as a result of measurement of his viewers and the way it will impression gross sales. Star predicts that Dawson may make $5 million from the collaboration.
He goes on to elucidate that different make-up manufacturers have been lower than truthful with YouTubers who create and market make-up collaborations. Star’s instance is Nikkie Tutorials, who he says made a $50,000 flat charge from her Too Confronted palette and bundled merchandise, known as the “The Too Confronted Energy of Make-up by Nikkie Tutorials Collaboration.”
“I’ve seen YouTubers and different influencers take filth as a result of they did not know,” Star mentioned, noting that all the things he revealed in Dawson’s video was already on the file – when the controversy first emerged, nameless sources confirmed to drama YouTuber Sanders Kennedy that de Jager solely made between $40,000 and $60,000.
“When she instructed me, I used to be so horrified,” Star continued on to say within the video. “And once I form of let that secret out it turned actually ugly.”
Dawson’s video already has nearly 12 million views and is the highest trending video on the platform. De Jager responded to the rehashing of her Too Confronted collaboration on Twitter on Saturday, calling herself “naive” for signing the contract – and suggesting that the true drama at play concerned Too Confronted altering the standard of the product with out her information.
“I signed my contract with TF again then as a result of I used to be naive & did not know higher,” de Jager wrote on Twitter. “On the finish of the day, I signed it, it is my very own fault – however what I am going to by no means forgive is that ‘allegedly’ they modified the palette’s high quality behind my again. 1000’s of unfavourable opinions & I used to be clueless.”
She went on to say, “I needed to see all these unfavourable opinions, whereas the palettes I had have been excellent. ‘they mendacity of their movies to get views’ is what I used to be instructed. I do not care concerning the cash.. however I needed to combat YEARS to show my authenticity and acquire your belief once more.”
Neither Too Confronted, its guardian firm Estée Lauder, or de Jager instantly responded to Insider’s request for remark.