Construct Accelerator, BuildXL for brief, is a construct engine initially developed for giant inner groups at Microsoft, and owned by the Instruments for Software program Engineers group, a part of the Microsoft One Engineering System inner engineering group. Internally at Microsoft, BuildXL runs 30,000+ builds per day on monorepo codebases as much as a half-terabyte in dimension with a half-million course of executions per construct, utilizing distribution to 1000’s of datacenter machines and petabytes of supply code, package deal, and construct output caching. Hundreds of builders use BuildXL on their desktops for quicker builds even on mega-sized codebases.
BuildXL accelerates a number of construct languages, together with:
- MSBuild (utilizing new options underneath improvement in MSBuild 16 which is able to ship in future variations of Visible Studio 2019 and the .NET Core SDK)
- CMake (underneath improvement)
- Its personal inner scripting language, DScript, an experimental TypeScript based mostly format used as an intermediate language by a small variety of groups inside Microsoft
BuildXL has a command-line interface. There are at present no plans to combine it into Visible Studio. The venture is open supply within the spirit of transparency of our engineering system. It’s possible you’ll discover our know-how helpful if you happen to face related problems with scale. Observe that BuildXL is just not supposed as a alternative for MSBuild or to point any future route of construct languages from Microsoft.
The BuildXL documentation foremost web page is right here.
Examples and Demos
See the Examples/ folder for fundamental venture examples. See the Demos web page for details about varied technical demos like utilizing the method sandboxing code.
Construct Standing – Azure DevOps Pipelines
Command Line Construct and Take a look at
This repo makes use of DScript information for its personal construct. From the foundation of the enlistment run:
bxl.cmd which is able to:
- Obtain the most recent self-host engine launch.
- Pull all wanted packages from NuGet.org and different package deal sources.
- Run a debug construct in addition to the unit exams regionally.
- Deploy a runnable bxl.exe to:
Observe you do not want administrator (elevated) privileges to your console window.
In the event you simply wish to do a ‘compile’ with out working exams you need to use:
bxl.cmd -minimal after which you’ll find the binaries in
Different construct varieties will be carried out as properly:
bxl -deployConfig launch: Retail construct
bxl /vs: Converts DScript information into MSBuild
.projinformation and generates a
.slnfor the venture at
You need to use Home windows 10 with BuildXL. You do not want to put in Visible Studio to get a working construct, however see the part beneath on utilizing VS with BuildXL for growing within the BuildXL codebase.
To run BuildXL on macOS it is advisable set up:
- Microsoft .NET Core SDK for macOS
- The newest Mono runtime
- If you wish to run and cargo the sandbox to allow absolutely noticed and cacheable builds, you additionally should flip off System Integrity Safety (SIP) on macOS. SIP blocks the set up of the unsigned kernel extension (or Kext) produced by the construct.
To begin constructing, go to the foundation of the repository and run
./bxl.sh --minimal in your most popular terminal. Identical to
bxl.cmd, this bash script additionally helps a number of flags to your comfort.
Utilizing BuildXL With Visible Studio
As a result of we do not have deep VS integration for BuildXL at the moment, you need to use
bxl /vs which is able to convert the DScript information into MSBuild
.proj information and generates a
.sln for the venture underneath
outvsBuildXL with a base filename matching the top-level listing of your enlistment. So for instance in case your enlistment listing is
c:enlistBuildXL, the generated resolution file will probably be