It’s been one month because the launch of Mortal Kombat 11. One month of arguing over microtransactions. One month of nightmare-inducing violence. One month of cringing each time Sonya Blade opens her mouth. The primary month of what’s certain to be years of superb combating. Right here’s what occurred in that month.
- On April 20, three days earlier than Mortal Kombat 11‘s launch, a submit on the Take a look at Your May fan boards detailed some early points with the sport. Issues cited included poor issue tuning within the recreation’s Towers of Time challenges and poor rewards for finishing mentioned challenges. There was additionally a punishing gear system requiring that gamers spend substantial time and in-game gold to reinforce gear and randomized loot drops within the recreation’s Krypt, making incomes character-specific skins, fatalities, and gear tougher.
- The Take a look at Your May submit was aggregated on Reddit shortly after it was posted, changing into a warning to gamers about Mortal Kombat 11‘s “draconian” grind partitions. The submit steered the random Krypt rewards and troublesome challenges have been purposefully designed to steer gamers in direction of real-money microtransactions. In actuality, the recreation’s microtransactions turned out to be fairly affordable.
- Mortal Kombat 11 launched for the PlayStation four, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Change on April 23. Gaming websites, together with this one, praised the sport for its accessibility, phenomenal tutorial, and emotionally-charged story mode. Evaluate web site Metacritic was swamped with adverse person evaluations, many citing rampant monetization and microtransactions that, as soon as once more, don’t exist. Different topics touched on in adverse person evaluations embody the desexualization of the sport’s feminine characters and a perceived “SJW” agenda, illustrated by an arcade story ending wherein the character Jax goes again in time to forestall slavery.
- The Nintendo Change and PC variations of Mortal Kombat 11 aren’t fairly in sync with the Xbox One’s and PlayStation four’s. Whereas developer Netherrealm Studios centered on the PS4 and Xbox One, QLOC created the PC model and Shiver Leisure dealt with the Change port. This result in inconsistencies between the variations at launch. Some strikes labored in a different way within the PC model, and the Nintendo recreation launched with out character-specific tutorials. Subsequent updates have introduced all variations of the sport extra consistent with each other.
- On the day of the sport’s launch, Netherrealm promised a patch to cut back the problem of the Towers of Time challenges and enhance rewards for finishing in-game objectives, making unlocking new gadgets within the Krypt simpler. On April 26, writer Warner Bros. launched a street map protecting upcoming patches and updates for all 4 variations of the sport. The updates additionally rewarded early gamers for his or her endurance, giving them a pile of in-game foreign money to assist unlock gadgets within the Krypt. Patches rolled out over the subsequent couple of weeks, first to Xbox One and PS4, with Change and PC straggling behind. The PC model obtained its most up-to-date patch on Might 14, lowering the necessities for finishing character towers.
- Even with all of the patches, gamers are nonetheless discovering glitches. Some, just like the glitch that permit gamers unlock a number of the Krypt’s costliest treasures by merely holding down a button, have (sadly) been patched. Others, just like the glitch that turns Sub-Zero invisible after performing a taunt below very particular circumstances, are nonetheless ready for a repair.
- No patch can repair Netherrealm Studios’ unlucky choice to solid UFC fighter Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade. The gimmicky casting of the Sandy Hook-denying, transmisogynistic comment-making WWE star is, as our personal Heather Alexandra put it, bullshit. Perhaps a future replace will permit gamers to mute characters individually.
- On Might 23, one month after Mortal Kombat 11‘s launch, the NPD Group introduced its record of the best-selling video games for April. In response to NPD knowledge, Mortal Kombat 11 topped gross sales charts for the Nintendo Change, PlayStation four and Xbox One. The final recreation to prime all present console charts in the identical month was Guitar Hero III in October of 2007. The final third-party M-rated recreation to hit #1 on a Nintendo console was Resident Evil four, for the GameCube, in 2005.
Whereas it obtained off to a bumpy begin, Mortal Kombat 11 appears to be doing simply high-quality.