Google Podcasts is a comparatively new podcast service, and whereas its present focus is its cell app, there are a pair options hidden away in a browser model that aren’t usually accessible. Particularly, customers can play podcasts of their browser and pull auto-generated transcriptions for episodes with only a few tweaks.
Take heed to podcasts in your browser
Usually while you open an episode hyperlink from Google Podcasts on a desktop browser, you’re despatched to a obtain web page for the Google Podcast app, relatively than a direct hyperlink to the episode itself. Nonetheless, as Android Police factors out, a small change to the URL is all it takes to allow browser playback.
This workaround will doubtless get replaced by a completely featured net participant sooner or later, nevertheless it’s useful within the meantime. You gained’t be capable of search, subscribe, or entry different podcast feeds you comply with (you’ll want to tug every hyperlink instantly), however your listening progress does sync between the online and app variations.
- Open the Google Podcasts app in your Android system.
- Discover the episode you want to play in your browser.
- Faucet the “Extra” icon (three stacked dots) > “Share”, then both ship the hyperlink to your self by way of one of many obtainable apps, or copy the hyperlink to your clipboard and ship/reserve it one other approach so you may open it in a browser in your PC or different gadgets.
- In your PC, copy and paste the episode hyperlink in your browser.
- Change the primary a part of the URL from “www.google.com/podcasts” to “podcasts.google.com” (ensure that to maintain the string of numbers and letters that follows untouched), then hit Enter.
- You’ll be taken to the episode’s in-app web page. You may press play to hear, or click on the Podcast’s title to open the episode listing.
Discover and search auto-generated transcripts of episodes
One other hidden function in Google Podcasts is auto-generated transcriptions—very like the auto-caption function for YouTube movies. These transcriptions are used as metadata by Google Podcasts (and can doubtless be searchable by customers sooner or later). Nonetheless, you may at the moment discover these transcriptions with a bit of digging round—although these aren’t a alternative for listening to the present itself, since they seem as a single unformatted string of textual content, they aren’t super-accurate, and they don’t seem to be obtainable for all podcasts or episodes.
Like the online participant, this wonky workaround will most likely get replaced at some future level, however for now, you may on the very least copy and save the transcriptions and search by way of them your self.
- Comply with the steps above to share and edit an episode hyperlink from the Google Podcasts app in order that it may be performed in a Chrome browser.
- As soon as the episode web page is open, press play, after which hit F12 to open the web page supply window.
- Click on the “Community” tab on the prime of the supply web page window, then drop down and click on “Response.”
- The “Identify” window will populate with a listing of information. Scroll by way of these information till you discover one which begins with “batchexecute?rpcids=.” Click on this to open it within the adjoining window, then use the scroll tabs to search out the transcription textual content. You may see the instance from the screenshot above.
- You may copy the whole transcription by double-clicking to focus on the road the transcript seems on, then Proper-click > “Copy.”
- Paste this string right into a textual content doc (resembling Phrase, Google Docs, Pocket book, and so on.).
- Press Ctrl+F to look the textual content doc.